Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Wilco, Again



The new Wilco b-side I posted up a couple days ago got me all excited about Wilco again; the past 48 hours have seen me searching through all my favorite old tracks from Tweedy & Co. I definitely have some favorite Jeff Tweedy moments, and I've been thinking about where "One True Vine" might fit in.

Ok, it might not be quite that good - Tweedy has blessed us with some seriously astounding moments - but it's still pretty wonderful.

Anyhow, here are some of my favorite Tweedy moments...

I'll start off with my absolute favorite, Uncle Tupelo's "Wait Up." This song has been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it. I was still just a young'in when March 16-20, 1992 released, but I'm pretty sure that, even then, I would have recognized this song's grandeur.

Uncle Tupelo- Wait Up


This next song released 3 years later on Golden Smog's 1995 LP Down by the Old Mainstream. You probably already know about Golden Smog's allstar cast, but despite being a veritble rock and roll "who's who," in my opinion, they've never really delivered. Think a modern day Travelling Wilburys. This song, though, is spectacular. Sounds like Wilco...

Golden Smog- Radio King


What else... There's just too much to choose from.

I guess I'll go with one of my all time favorite Wilco songs, "She's a Jar." That kind of feels like cheating - you know, posting up a track from a Wilco LP. Instead I'll use the demo...

Wilco- She's a Jar (Demo)


If I'm gonna post a Wilco song, I should try to give you something you haven't heard before, eh? Well, I have no clue where this one came from, and I haven't really seen it floating around the net anywhere. Don't believe me? Go search for it. I would guess it released as a b-side at some point, but I really don't know when or to what. Amazing song, though. Definitey a top 10 Tweedy moment.

Wilco- No More Poetry

In 2003 Tweedy teamed up with Jim O'Rourk to release Loose Fur their first album under the moniker Loose Fur. Much like Golden Smog, I was very impressed with some of it, and with some of it I was very underwhelmed. In 2006, though, they released a sophomore LP entitled Born Again in the USA, and the last track on that album has definitely become one of my favrite Jeff Tweedy moments.

Loose Fur- Wanted

This last song may not be an absolute favorite, but it's still very cool. It's a live cover (that you probably haven't heard) of a great song (that you probably have heard).

Jeff Tweedy- I Shall Be Released (Live Bob Dylan Cover)

Ok, that's all for today.

Enjoy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's A Jar is not just my favorite Wilco song of all time, it's my favorite song period, and that just made me really, really happy, and thank you so fucking much, and the end.

Paul Altobelli said...

Great choices. If you're ever looking for topics to post how about the definitive Jeff Tweedy non-Wilco playlist? Love the blog! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot, those were really great. I love your site!

Be well,
Summer

Anonymous said...

If you have the 2 iTunes exclusive Voxtrot tracks, (New Love and Loan Shark) can you post them up? Thanks, love the site.

Lawrence Peryer said...

We have a full-show download from June 8, 2004 posted on our blog: Wilco in NYC.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mister

where are you? We are in june 14....I am waiting for some cool posts out here...
Kisses, Laura

Anonymous said...

酒店兼職 酒店打工 打工 台北酒店 酒店兼差 酒店經紀 禮服酒店 酒店工作 酒店上班 兼差 酒店應徵 酒店

buy zenegra online said...

Hi,
Nice collection great choices.I love your blog.. Thanks for posting this blog........

Web Development Company said...

Such a wonderful post. Keep posting. I follow you.
Clone Script| Web Designing|