Monday, January 22, 2007

The Besnard Lakes


Three weeks in, and already I think I have found what will probably be two of my top 5 albums of 2007. It's going to be hard for anyone to eclipse Arbouretum and The Besnard Lakes this year.

The Besnard Lakes have been around for a while. In 2003 they released "Volume 1." It's definitely worth a listen, but at times it seems a bit too loose and unfocused; kind of rough around the edges. There's a lot of promise, though, buried under the layers of fuzz and distortion.



This year, February 20th to be exact, The Besnard Lakes will release their second album (first on Jagjaguwar), titled "The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse."



I am in love.

They remind me of some of my favorite bands; flashes of Spacemen 3, My Bloody Valentine, and the Jesus and Mary Chain. Two more relevant comparisons that I have seen made are Pink Floyd and Brian Wilson.

Check out a couple tracks from their upcoming album...

The Besnard Lakes- And You Lied to Me
The Besnard Lakes- Rides the Rails

And just for fun... From Volume 1:

The Besnard Lakes- For Spy Turned Musician


Everyone should support this band.

Buy their new album.

Go to their shows.

No comments: