Tuesday, February 6, 2007

What ever happened to the Brian Jonestown Massacre?


We haven't heard anything from the Brian Jonestown Massacre since God is My Girlfriend, the last track from their 2005 We are the Radio EP, faded out.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre- God Is My Girlfriend


(Begin: Tangent

Well, that isn't *entirely* true. Ex-BJM member Brian Glaze released his first solo album last year, Let's Go to the Sea. That kind of counts, right? It isn't a bad album at all. Jangly, guitar driven, 60's sounding psychedelic pop that earned inevitable comparisons to Roky Erickson, Syd Barrett, and Sky Saxon.

Brian Glaze- Don't Believe in Love

End: Tangent)

You're probably wondering what made me think of Brian Jonestown Massacre, yes?

A few weeks ago I came across the 5-track debut self-titled EP of a band called LSD and the Search for God. You should know, I am a sucker for cool band names. The ridiculously awesome band name, coupled with the EP's cover, had me expecting the greatest album in the history of the world.



After a quick listen I realized that it was probably not the greatest album in the history of the world. It is, however, a very cool album. Think My Bloody Valentine, the Jesus and Mary Chain, or, more recently, the Brian Jonestown Massacre on a shoegazing day.

LSD and the Search for God- This Time

LSD and the Search for God- Starting Over

LSD and the Search for God's debut EP released officially on January 16th. Go buy it... You won't regret it.

Ah, but this is only the beginning.

A couple days ago I elected to continue my journey down into the proverbial rabbit hole when I picked up a copy of an album called "A Purple Journey into the Mod Machine," by a band called the Dolly Rocker Movement.



Hmmm, the Dolly Rocker Movement... Syd Barrett?

Syd Barrett- Dolly Rocker


The band's myspace describes their sound as "What would happen if Bolan,Barrett & Donovan went flying high on the west coast with Saxon & Bonniwell. An aural assault of psychedelic splendour and garage rock with the occasional splash of folk/country."

A more fitting description there never was. Although, they could have also just said "Sounds like: the Brian Jonestown Massacre."

Jokes aside, I'm really digging this album.

The Dolly Rocker Movement- My Friend
The Dolly Rocker Movement- Hers and Mine

A Purple Journey Into the Mod Machine released sometime at the end of 2006. I really don't know the official date.

So go ahead and drop some acid, give these two bands a listen, and let me know what you think.

No comments: